September 22, 2022

Half of all network devices are outdated and vulnerable

Old and obsolete equipment also tends to have old and obsolete software, which means that new updated malware can have a blast. Sadly, a new report has found that the percentage of aging and obsolete devices on corporate networks around the world is at its highest level in six years.

According to dimension data Network Barometer Report, more than half (51%) of all corporate network devices worldwide are aging or obsolete; 11% are completely obsolete.

In addition, 27% of all devices are now “more advanced” in their product lifecycle and when the vendor starts cutting back on support. Interestingly, the Americas had the lowest percentage of aging and obsolete devices (44%) of any region in the world.

“Over the past few years, we’ve seen the proportion of aging and obsolete devices steadily increase, and the conventional assumption was that a technology refresh cycle was imminent,” said Raoul Tecala, Director of Business Development at Dimension Data. for networking, in a press release. . “However, our data shows that organizations are sweating their network assets for longer than expected.”

Tecala postulates that there are three main drivers behind this trend. First, following the economic crisis, organizations continue to focus on cost savings – especially reduced capital budgets. Second, there is increasing availability and adoption of ICT as a service consumption models, reducing the need for organizations to invest in their own infrastructure.

Finally, the advent of programmable software-defined networks (SDNs) may cause organizations to “wait and see” before selecting and implementing new technology – a factor Dimension Data expects to become more influential over time. over the next 18 to 36 months.

“We expect that the growth of cloud computing, mobility and the number of connected ‘things’ will put additional strain on the network and that customers will need to review their network architecture, not individual devices,” he said. explained Tecala.

While businesses continue to invest in ubiquitous wireless connectivity at the edge of their networks, they are also beginning to invest in the access network infrastructure needed to support that wireless connectivity. For example, the percentage of gigabit access switch ports has grown from a third of all ports last year to 45% this year. Additionally, the percentage of switches supporting 10-gigabit uplinks increased from 11% to 23%.

Dimension Data said a large portion of access switch upgrades occur where the installed device still has several years in its product lifecycle. So, while networks typically age as organizations strain their network assets for as long as possible to keep costs down, organizations upgrade their networks when the need for specific new features becomes more pressing.

It should be noted that only 16% of the 91,000 IT service incidents recorded with Dimension Data service centers in 2013 were related to the network device itself, while the remaining 84% were related to non-computer related issues. device, such as human error, telecommunications failure, or environmental issues. The largest category of IT incidents were due to human errors, with almost a third of all incidents (6% configuration errors plus 26% other human errors) potentially preventable.

Source link